According to a high profile scientific exposé published earlier this year, experts believe that eyes first developed in primitive creatures more than 545 million years ago, although some analysts are under the impression that primeval jellyfish were able to detect light even earlier than that.
In any case, eyes have clearly undergone significant transformations and evolvements over the years, which is why they are widely referred to as the most beguiling, fascinating organs in the entire human body.
Interesting Information Regarding Human Eyes
Advances in healthcare research and medical science have allowed us to peek behind the curtain, so to speak, and understand the true composition and function of our eyes:
- You might already know that melanin is the naturally occurring pigment that affects your skin tone, but it’s worth noting that melanin is also the primary factor that determines your eye colour as well.
- Some prehistoric animals only had one eyeball, but humans evolved to have two separate ocular organs to provide a discernible sense of depth.Seeing two images simultaneously allows us to gauge the distance of a given object or scene.
- Your nose and ears will continue to grow during your entire lifetime, but your eyes maintain the exact same size from birth to death.
- Due to the fact that they contain roughly 110 million light-sensitive cells, human eyes are powerful enough to see the dim glow of a candle from more than 10 miles away.
- At the present moment, eye transplants are medically impossible due to the delicate, fragile construct of the optic nerve, but it’s important to note that four out of every five ophthalmic conditions are curable or correctable.
As such, human eyes are not only necessary and essential, they are also very enthralling and compelling in their own right.
Understanding the Benefits of Corrective Lasik Surgery
If you’ve been weighing the pros and cons of partnering with a San Antonio Lasik specialist to enhance your eyesight and eliminate your reliance on eyeglasses or contact lenses, take a brief moment to peruse through the following statistics and data points:
- According to the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, the new-age Lasik procedure features an extraordinary, unprecedented success rate – approximately 96% of patients are able to attain 20/20 vision after a simple 15-minute treatment.
- Lasik has actually been around since the mid-1990s, but the demand for this particular treatment option has surged over the past several years. In fact, upwards of 600,000 Americans have undergone a Lasik correction during the last 12 months, and this figure is expected to surpass 710,000 by the year 2020.
- In stark contrast to alternative ophthalmic surgeries, Lasik can provide a permanent cure for hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism, and a wide range of other ocular conditions – your practitioner will simply modify the process to account for your unique disorder.
Thus, it’s in your best interests to visit the webpage of your local optometrist to learn more about Lasik before booking your initial consultation. Your path to 20/20 vision is just a few clicks away.